Writing a business, self-help or how-to book may seem like an overwhelming task. The truth is when you know the steps to take and have a strategic plan in place, the process becomes almost effortless.
As an entrepreneur who wants to become a published author, your goal is to develop your book using the most effective, time-efficient, and proven method. You need a strategy. Here is the 5-step process for writing your book:
Step 1: Conceptualize the Project
- Define your vision and purpose to ensure your book achieves the desired outcome.
- Determine your ideal publishing path to effectively reach your goal.
- Clarify your compelling idea to deliver maximum impact.
- Outline the benefits to attain market advantage.
- Evaluate your audience so you can speak to your reader directly.
- Identify the unique selling point to differentiate your book from other experts.
- Create a sizzling title that ensures your book flies off bookstore shelves.
- Plan your writing calendar to stay on track for success.
Step 2: Strategize and Organize
- Design your book’s framework to maximize sales potential.
- Strategize your book’s content so it positions you as the go-to expert.
- Organize and structure your material so the book flows like a bestseller.
- Use the “E’s Formula” to effortlessly map your chapters and develop your book content, which includes: Enlightening the reader on each topic by presenting and defining each idea or method, explaining or describing how to execute the idea or method, supporting your statements with evidence to prove your expert method or philosophy works, creating compelling stories or examples to inspire and motivate readers, and including effective exercises to engage and help the reader absorb and implement the material.
Step 3: Craft the Content
- Develop your trigger questions and usse the Speak-Your-Book method to quickly and easily “write” your book.
- Repurpose content to save time “writing” your book.
- Create compelling chapter titles and subtitles that inspire readers to buy the book.
- Prepare the Table of Contents to generate the manuscript foundation.
- Transcribe the material and incorporate it into the manuscript to effortlessly create your first draft.
- Craft powerful openings to immediately capture the reader and successfully guide him or her through the book.
- Insert empowering words and phrases to boost the reader’s confidence.
- Develop your call-to-action elements to turn your book into the ultimate lead generation tool.
- Select visual elements to enhance your words.
- Deliver satisfying conclusions to compel the reader to move forward.
- Gather research to expand your content and acquire experts and other sources to supplement your expertise.
Step 4: Finalize the Manuscript
- Prepare the manuscript sections and polish and edit the material to produce a professional book.
- Obtain endorsements to generate instant recognition and credibility.
- Acquire permissions for copyright-protected material to ensure your book is on the right side of the law.
Step 5: Release the Book
- Establish your publishing company imprint to retain full rights and higher profits from your work.
- Select your book formats, distributors, aggregators and retail outlets for a successful distribution path.
- Choose your book category code (BISAC) to attract a ready-to-buy audience.
- Acquire an ISBN and barcode (if necessary) to allow your book to appear in retail stores and libraries.
- Get your Publisher’s Cataloging-in-Publication data (optional) to make it easy for libraries and retailers to acquire your book.
- Write the back-cover copy to rouse interest, inject excitement, and galvanize sales.
- Design the interior layout to facilitate the reading experience.
- Create a professional book cover to convey expertise and entice readers.
- Price your book to produce robust sales.
- Register the copyright to protect your content.
- Launch the book with a solid marketing plan to accelerate sales, garner media attention, and create sustained success.
- Leverage your book and profit from your expertise with revenue-generating offers related to your book’s content.
Laura Cross is a writer/author, producer and founder of Rebel Seed Studio - an independent film production company, book publisher, and podcast network. Laura has worked as an author-strategist and professional ghostwriter of narrative nonfiction and how-to books. She is the author of the books EXPERT AUTHOR: Turn Your Expertise into a Profitable Business, Self-Help or How-To Book and BESTSELLER BOOK PROPOSAL: Develop a Winning Pitch, Acquire a Top Literary Agent and Land a Publishing Deal... Before You Write Your Nonfiction Book.