Submissions Close: April 22, 2020
Winners & Official Selections announced by: July 15, 2020
Submissions accepted via Film Freeway only.
The True Story Screenplay Competition recognizes and showcases feature screenplays, television scripts, and short scripts that feature stories based on, or inspired by, true events.
Accepting feature film screenplays and TV scripts in all genres based on, or inspired by, true stories. Each submission entry requires:SCREENPLAY, TELEPLAY or SHORT
Feature screenplays must not exceed 120 pages. Television scripts must not exceed 60 pages. Short scripts must not exceed 25 pages.
A brief description of your script’s story (up to 50 words).WRITER’S BIO
A Writer’s Bio may include background, resume, accolades, training, experience, as well as any upcoming projects.
WINNERS – SHOWCASE
Winning script(s) receive
- “Winner” Recognition Laurel
- Script listed on the sponsor's website, with logline and bio.
OFFICIAL SELECTIONS – SHOWCASE
All Official Selections receive
- An “Official Selection” laurel
- Script listed on the sponsor's website
Entry Fees, Deadlines & Selection Announcements
SUBMISSIONS OPEN: January 3, 2020
$49 Early Deadline: January 22, 2020
$59 Regular Deadline: February 19, 2020
$69 Late Deadline: March 19, 2020
$79 Final Deadline: April 22, 2020
All deadlines 11:59 pm Pacific Time
WINNERS ANNOUNCED BY: July 15, 2020
Eligibility | Rules
- Entrant(s) must be 18 years of age or older.
- All entries must be in English.
- All entries must be submitted in PDF format. No exceptions.
- Submissions are accepted via Film Freeway only.
- Title Page: Include title, writer’s name, and title and name of person/event the true story is based upon. Contact information is optional.
- Scripts must be in standard screenplay format. No exceptions.
- Both produced and unproduced scripts are eligible.
- Both represented and non-represented writers are eligible.
- Teams of writers are eligible.
- Scripts that have previously won a competition are eligible.
- Substitutions of corrected pages, revised material, or new drafts, require a new entry and payment.
- We DO NOT offer deadline extensions.
- We DO NOT offer fee waivers or discounts.
- WE DO NOT RESPOND TO REQUESTS FOR FEE WAIVERS, OR DISCOUNTS, OR DEADLINE EXTENSIONS.
- We DO NOT offer individual feedback on script submissions.
- All submission payments are final. We do not provide refunds.
- By submitting a script you confirm that you own the rights to the material submitted.
- By submitting a script you confirm that you have read and agree to our eligibility and rules. Judges decisions are final.
- See the FAQs Page for additional information about submittiing screenplays.