Submissions Close: April 23, 2019
Winners & Official Selections announced by: July 15, 2019
Submissions accepted via Film Freeway only.
The True Story Screenplay Competition recognizes and showcases feature screenplays and television scripts that feature stories based on, or inspired by, true events.
Accepting feature film screenplays and TV scripts in all genres based on, or inspired by, true stories. Each submission entry requires:SCREENPLAY or TELEPLAY
Feature screenplays must not exceed 120 pages. Television scripts must not exceed 60 pages.LOGLINE
A brief description of your script’s story (up to 50 words).WRITER’S BIO
A Writer’s Bio may include background, resume, accolades, training, experience, as well as any upcoming projects.
WINNERS – SHOWCASE
Winning script(s) receive
- “Winner” Recognition Laurel
- Script listed on the “Film & Script Showacase” page of the website
- Opportunity to showcase the first 10 pages of your script, along with your logline and bio. (You may opt-out of this benefit on the entry form if you do not want development executives, producers, and others to have access to your material or info).
OFFICIAL SELECTIONS – SHOWCASE
All Official Selections receive
- An “Official Selection” laurel
- Script listed on the “Film & Script Showcase” page of the website
Entry Fees, Deadlines & Selection Announcements
SUBMISSIONS OPEN: January 3, 2019
$49 Early Deadline: January 23, 2019
$59 Regular Deadline: February 19, 2019
$69 Late Deadline: March 19, 2019
$79 Extended Deadline / Submissions Close: April 23, 2019
All deadlines 11:59 pm Pacific Time
WINNERS ANNOUNCED BY: July 15, 2019
Eligibility | Rules
- Entrant(s) must be 18 years of age or older.
- All entries must be in English.
- All entries must be submitted in PDF format. No exceptions.
- Submissions are accepted via Film Freeway only.
- Title Page: Include title, writer’s name, and title and name of person/event the true story is based upon. Contact information is optional.
- Scripts must be in standard screenplay format. No exceptions.
- Both produced and unproduced scripts are eligible.
- Both represented and non-represented writers are eligible.
- Teams of writers are eligible.
- Scripts that have previously won a competition are eligible.
- Substitutions of corrected pages, revised material, or new drafts, require a new entry and payment.
- We DO NOT offer deadline extensions.
- We DO NOT offer fee waivers or discounts.
- WE DO NOT RESPOND TO REQUESTS FOR FEE WAIVERS, OR DISCOUNTS, OR DEADLINE EXTENSIONS.
- We DO NOT offer individual feedback on script submissions.
- All submission payments are final. We do not provide refunds.
- By submitting a script you confirm that you own the rights to the material submitted.
- By submitting a script you confirm that you have read and agree to our eligibility and rules. Judges decisions are final.
- See the FAQs Page for additional information about submittiing screenplays.